Years ago when I lived in Tahoe I worked across the street from a bagel shop and would frequent there quite often. One of my favorites from the shop was an everything bagel smothered with garlic cream cheese then topped with slices of tomato and avocado covered with melted havarti cheese and sprinkled with Garlic Pepper. This was my go to breakfast in the morning.
However, it was pricy eating out everyday. SOOOOOOO, I decided I could make it myself — and boy how easy it was.
Now fast forward 10+ years and throw in being gluten intolerant… and you have gluten free bread instead of an everything bagel. I tend to use what I have on hand at home to make my broiled breakfast than go out of my way to get every ingredient.
I always seem to have provolone cheese on hand and there was leftover diced tomatoes from tacos the other night in the refrigerator so that is what I used but by all means go ahead and use freshly sliced tomatoes or whatever cheese you prefer.
Last night before bed I put together a Pumpkin French Toast Casserole …. Got up early around 7:30am stuck it in the oven for an hour and went back to bed til the oven timer went off. This is what our Sunday breakfast looked like!
- 1 loaf of Gluten Free Bread ( I used Udi’s )
- 7 large eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar for topping
- Pecans for topping
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla, pumpkin puree, vanilla and pie spice until well combined.
- Lay your first layer of bread slices down to a fill a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish quite full.
- Pour 1/2 of the egg mixture over bread until it’s all soaked and mostly covered.
- Lay your second layer of bread slices down then pour the remainder of the egg mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and pecans on top.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- In the morning, place into the oven and turn to 350º F, uncovered (don’t preheat oven). Bake for 60 minutes or until golden brown and no longer wet.
- Serve immediately with your choice topping – maple syrup, honey or even agave nectar.