My husband was on a Vegan meal kick for awhile. I kept looking for new dinner ideas and came across this Potato and Chickpea Curry recipe. It sounded wonderful so I took out the Crockpot and got to it. By making the Potato and Chickpea Curry in the Crockpot it allowed me to prep very little, then set it and walk away until this vegan/gluten free dinner was ready much later in the day.
I love New Orleans. It is spectacular in my opinion — the food, the atmosphere… I fell in love instantly. I was lucky enough to had traveled to NOLA twice for Mardi Gras. And even went when Mardi Gras landed on my Birthday in 1997!! Ok, did I just date myself?
Even though I haven’t been to NOLA in years, I pay homage to Fat Tuesday at my home regardless. Now of course I use to go all out and decorate, make a kings cake for dessert and even hide a plastic baby. But life is much more busier than it use to be and now all I have time for is basically cooking up dinner, LOL.
I wanted to make Gumbo — but I made a twist from the norm and made it a rice bowl instead. It might not look like much but the flavor pops once you take a spoonful!
Slow-Cooker Gumbo Rice Bowl with Turkey and Andouille Sausage
- 1/4 lb (1 stick) butter
- 4 oz gluten free flour
- 1 Small onions, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups turkey broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of dried hot red pepper flakes
- pinch of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 12 ounce bag of okra
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounce andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 lb. turkey tenderloin, diced
- 3 cups uncooked rice
- Heat a crockpot up and add all ingredients except flour, butter and rice. Stirring every few hours.
- In a small pot melt butter over moderately low heat. Gradually add a third of the flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.. Add another third more flour still stir constantly. Then add remaining third of flour still stirring constantly to cook roux until it is dark in color.
- Cook gumbo for 8 hours on low.
- Cook rice according to directions. When rice is ready add rice to Gumbo and mix to incorporate. Serve immediately.