I love fried calamari! Since I was diagnosed gluten intolerant, I have not been able to really patron many Italian restaurants let alone order fried calamari. But I found the Walmart near me carries a 1 pound bag for $5. I cannot believe how reasonable that is! The calamari is already cleaned and cut which is even better! Nevertheless, I made up a tempura batter, dipped the calamari in and fried them up to a crispy goodness!
Gluten Free Tempura Fried Calamari
- 1 lb bag of calamari, cleaned and cut
- 1 cup arrowroot
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 3 eggs
- 2-3 cups ice cold water (depends on how thin you want batter)
- Oil for frying
- Heat oil in a deep pot or fryer to 375º F.
- In a large bowl mix arrowroot, sweet rice, white rice, eggs and water together. Mix thoroughly.
- In batches – dredge calamari in batter, then place in hot oil.
- Fry 2-3 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Transfer to a ‘Warm’ oven until all calamari is done.
- Repeat frying steps until all calamari is done.