I made a Gluten Free BLT for lunch today. I wanted to try intertwining the bacon and was impressed with how it came out…. Think I may do this from now on but will have to cut the bacon strips in half so the ‘bacon patty’ isn’t so large next time.
Growing up my mother made her 24-hour salad that I always loved. Now I make this salad and my daughter just loves it as well.
But this is the salad that everyone always asks me to make when I am attending a Potluck or Barbecue. Since we were attending my son’s Cub Scout Rank Ceremony’s barbecue, I decided to make this salad as my contribution to the barbecue.
It has layers of lettuce, mayo, parmesan cheese, sugar, water chestnuts, peas, bacon, onions…. Mmmm, I think I need to make another batch for my own enjoyment. It is one of my favorite salads!
I can’t believe May is here already. The months are flying by faster and faster each year it seems. Nevertheless, I finally went grocery shopping and ended up picking up a package of Plain Udi’s Bagels. This morning the kids had a 1/2 of bagel slathered in cream cheese and topped with raspberry jam. I am more of a everything kinda girl with more taste buds for textures and flavors that I decided to raid the fridge to see what I could top my bagel with.
I found leftover bacon and avocado and a package of swiss cheese and knew exactly how I was going to top my bagel!
If you want to cut back on your carbs or just get a little more veggies in your diet go for a lettuce wrap instead of a sandwich.
Today just felt like a bacon kinda day. And since I love avocados — the two really compliment each other well. However, I wanted something a tad lighter than a sandwich so I reached for the Romaine lettuce in the fridge.
Lettuce wraps to me are quite messy be it as a sandwich, appetizer or a burger, but are extremely tasty nevertheless.
Today is my birthday and it felt like a BLT with Fried egg kind of day.
The kids are all at school… and I am home alone enjoying the peace and quiet. Gonna make a BLT with a Fried egg for breakfast…. yep, it is so far a good morning!
My parents are in town visiting so when my father comes into town he always brings me the fruits of his garden regardless if I have a garden going or not. But this trip he brought me vine ripened tomatoes out of his garden. A nice little addition to my sandwich!
Since my husband is allergic to sodium nitrates and msg I don’t fry up bacon practically ever. However, I do always keep a box on hand for when I get a craving. And of course today was the day and ohhhhhh, was it worth it!
Gluten Free BLT with a fried egg
- 6 thick slices of bacon
- 2 slices of gluten free bread, toasted – I used Udi’s
- 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise – I used Best Foods
- 3 tomato slices – garden fresh!
- 2 leaves of green leaf lettuce
- 1 large egg — I used fresh out of the chicken coop!
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Spread the mayonnaise on both slices of toast, then top with the bacon, tomato and lettuce.
- In the same skillet that the bacon was fried, add the egg and fry over moderate heat, turning once, until crisp around the edge, about 3 minutes; the yolk should still be runny. Slide the egg onto the lettuce; close the sandwich and eat right away.