My mom’s birthday was coming up and as always I make her, her birthday cake. This year I went the easy route and used boxed cake mix and a boxed brownie mix.
The brownie layers perfectly complimented the yellow cake. The cake truly turned out pretty and very tasty!
I am sharing this semi-homemade version of the recipe here. That is one box of gluten free yellow cake and one box of gluten free brownie mix. You can even use canned frosting if you didn’t even want to make that. Regardless, you can most definitely make this from scratch! AND – You can always use my favorite From-Scratch Gluten Free Brownie Recipe.
Gluten Free Yellow Layer Cake with Brownie middle
- 1 box of Gluten Free Yellow Cake
- 1 box of Gluten Free Brownie Mix
- Buttercream Frosting recipe (below)
- 2, 8-inch round cake pans
- Prepare gluten free brownie batter according to box directions. Divide batter between two prepared 8-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until the brownie batter is set and starting to crust slightly.
- While brownie is baking, prepare gluten free yellow cake according to box or recipe directions.
- After 10-15 minutes in the oven, carefully remove brownies. Equally divide the yellow cake batter between the two brownie pans and return to the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes. When cake is done it will dome in the center slightly, will have pulled away from the edges of the pan, and will have nicely browned on the sides and top.
- Cool completely. (To make frosting the cake easier, place in refrigerator until ready to assemble.)
- 1 teaspoon Gluten Free Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened)
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or almond milk
- In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
- Gradually add milk; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Assemble cake and frost!
Recipe slightly adapted from I am Baker