I find that buying pre-made all purpose gluten free flour is very expensive at the store per pound so I basically make my own.
Also, living at an altitude of 4,750 elevation requires a little more protein in my mix to help with that sponginess you would get from all Wheat Flours.
When I make my flour blend I love using Teff Flour as one of my blends. It is high in protein — which most GF Flours lack.
I also prefer using Bob’s Red Mill brand and tend to go with that brand when making my blend.
So I normally thoroughly mix together:
Homemade Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 2 (24 oz) bags of Teff Flour
- 1 (24 oz) bag of Brown Rice Flour
- 1 (24 oz) bag of White Rice Flour
- 2 (22 oz) bags of Sweet White Sorghum Flour
- 2 (14 oz) bags of Tapioca Flour – I used Asuka brand from the Asian Market
- 1 (16 oz) bag of Tapioca Starch – I used Three Ladies Brand from the Asian Market
I have a HUGE glass jar with a lid that I mix the flours all together then store it in my pantry for when I need it!!
It’s that simple!!
You can use this gluten free flour blend anytime you see “all-purpose” flour in a recipe.
If you are looking for a grain-free flour blend, this isn’t it. While the Tapioca is grain-free the rest of the flours used are not.
• Tapioca Flour is a grain-free flour made from cassava root. It is a starchy, slightly sweet flour that is a staple for gluten free baking. It’s also a good ingredient for thickening soups, sauces, and pie fillings. (not a grain)
• Teff Flour comes from a gluten free ancient grain that originated in North Africa. Substitute teff flour for about 25% of the white flour called for in baked goods recipes for increased nutrition and distinctive flavor. Teff is a good source of iron and an excellent source of fiber. (Grain)
• Sorghum Flour is stone ground from 100% whole grain sorghum. It has a light color and texture and a mild, sweet flavor, making it a wonderful ingredient for gluten free scratch baking. (Grain)
• Brown Rice Flour is 100% stone ground from the highest quality whole grain brown rice and has a mild, nutty flavor. (Grain)
• White Rice Flour is 100% stone ground from premium white rice. Great for gluten free baked goods. (Grain)
Information on flours from Bob’s Red Mill