I have never baked homemade taquitos before and wanted to give it a try. Baked taquitos are healthier and create less of a mess in your kitchen than when you are frying them.
Serve with sour cream and / or guacamole or even a Sweet & sour cranberry dipping sauce. Leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken is perfect for the filling… or in my case leftover Turkey.
Since my kids and I are intolerant to chicken, I make A LOT of turkeys over the course of a year and whatever you usually make with chicken, I substitute with Turkey, hence Turkey Taquitos. 🙂
Gluten Free Baked Turkey Taquitos
Makes 5 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil, more for brushing tortillas
1 cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3 cups shredded cooked turkey meat
15 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425°F and oil a baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until starting to soften and turns translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cumin and salt. Stir to combine and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, until fragrant. Take from heat and stir in cilantro and chicken. Set aside.
Lay tortilla on a work surface and spread a fair amount of Turkey mixture over bottom third then roll up.
- Place seam side down on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spray or brush tortillas lightly with oil and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.