Well my gravy was a disaster yesterday. I have no idea where I failed, but the darn thing never thickened and looked like thin au jus unfortunately. Since I have a lot of leftovers because I cooked a 25 pound turkey, I made a new batch of gravy today — and it is perfect!
Never give up, today is a brand new day to try at it again!
- 1 cup pan drippings
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup arrowroot or more if you want thicker gravy
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pour drippings into a fine mesh strainer then allow the drippings to cool a bit so that the fat rises to the top and starts to solidify. Use a spoon to remove the fat.
- In a pot on high heat add drippings and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Remove pot from heat add arrowroot, constantly whisking to combine until completely dissolved.
- Next add butter and stir until butter is melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, or keep on very low heat until you’re ready to serve.