Homemade bread cubes are perfect for stuffing recipes, casseroles, and other recipes that call for bread cubes.
Since my family eats gluten free bread I have been saving the bread heels as well as the bread that has crumbled and for whatever reason we just didn’t end up eating that slice of bread. I placed it all in a ziploc bag and left it in the freezer for months in order to make Toasted Bread Cubes to use in my Thanksgiving Stuffing.
Some ask why not just use the fresh cubes; why do you toast them? The reason — the dried cubes absorb more of the juices while cooking! So let me show you just how easy it is to make!
Homemade Bread Cubes
- 1-1/2 pound to 2 pounds of gluten free bread
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon Johnny’s Garlic Spread & Seasoning
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Stack a few slices of bread; Using a serrated knife, cut the bread into 1/2-inch strips.
- Cut the strips crosswise into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley, Johnny’s Garlic Spread & Seasoning and the coat with olive oil. Mix thoroughly to coat.
- Arrange the cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake the cubes at 350º F for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool, then place in a sealed container for up to a week before using.