My husband was on a Vegan meal kick for awhile. I kept looking for new dinner ideas and came across this Potato and Chickpea Curry recipe. It sounded wonderful so I took out the Crockpot and got to it. By making the Potato and Chickpea Curry in the Crockpot it allowed me to prep very little, then set it and walk away until this vegan/gluten free dinner was ready much later in the day.
Crockpot potato and chickpea curry topped with mint and cilantro
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder or paste
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (purchased at the Asian Market)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Cooked rice
- Rinse Chickpeas and place them in the crockpot with water. Cover and let cook on low for 6-8 hours until the chickpeas are just tender.
- About an hour before the dish is ready, remove cover and place remaining ingredients into the crockpot except mint and rice.
- Gently stir to incorporate the ingredients with the chickpeas.
- Spoon cooked rice into bowls topped with a serving of potato and chickpea curry.
- Next top with 1 tablespoon of chopped mint and cilantro.
Adapted from The Gourmet Slow Cooker cookbook