I have never tried making Fish Cakes before and don’t know why I haven’t tried them sooner. They are quite easy to make and so tasty!
Fish Cakes are quite versatile and can be served as a snack, in a sandwich, or even as an appetizer or a side for a party.
My kids and husband thought they were great. And my husband even took the leftovers to work for lunch the next day. So I say that is a win-win dinner for Mama.
Gluten Free Fish Cakes
Makes 6-8 cakes
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 5 white fish fillets – I used Swai
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Sriracha Mayo (Optional)
- Heat oil in a deep pot or fryer to 375º F.
- Toast gluten free bread until lightly browned. Let cool and process in mini chopper or blender.
- Coarsely chop the fish. This can be done in the food processor, but with care or the fish will quickly turn into paste.
- In a large bowl mix the fish together with the breadcrumbs. Add Worcestershire sauce, egg, celery, mayonnaise, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly until well blended.
- Then form into 8 cakes.
- Place 2 cakes gently into the hot fryer. Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Transfer to a ‘Warm’ oven until all calamari is done.
- Repeat frying steps until all fish cakes are done.
- Serve immediately drizzled with Sriracha Mayo.