So my kids thought I was making chocolate pancakes and got all excited, LOL. I had to explain that I was making Buckwheat Pancakes not chocolate. Surprising they weren’t sad about not getting chocolate ones as they hoped.
Buckwheat gives these pancakes an incredible flavor. This buckwheat pancake recipe makes very delicious, yet thick pancakes. If you want something lighter, I suggest adding more milk to thin the batter out. Otherwise this batter comes out thick like cake batter.
Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup milk + more if you want thinner pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together buttermilk, milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and olive oil. Add flour, salt, xanthan gum and baking powder to the mixture. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Preheat your griddle to medium-low heat and grease with cooking spray. Using a ¼-cup measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the warm skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until small bubbles form on the surface of the pancakes then carefully flip. Cook on the opposite sides for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked pancakes to a baking sheet and place in a preheated 200º F oven to keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding more cooking spray to the griddle when needed.
- Serve immediately topped with butter and Honey Maple Syrup.