I love fried calamari! Since I was diagnosed gluten intolerant, I have not been able to really patron many Italian restaurants let alone order fried calamari.
I purchased a bag of calamari and didn’t want to go the plain route of just making an appetizer and wanted to make it a dinner entree. So I came up with the idea of making calamari tacos. We love fish or even shrimp tacos and this is basically on the same concept.
So, now what did I want to pair it with…. a mango slaw of course!!
Gluten Free Fried Calamari tacos with a Mango Slaw
Makes 15 tacos
- 1 lb bag frozen Calamari tubes and tentacles, thawed
- 15 corn tortillas
- 1 cup arrowroot
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon garlic spread seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon mild yellow curry powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup ice water
- Oil for frying
- Sriracha Mayo Sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups mango, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped fine
- 2-1/2 cups purple cabbage, diced
• Preheat oven to 200°.
• Next make your batter by mixing arrowroot, tapioca, garlic spread, curry powder, eggs and water in a bowl large bowl.
• Heat 1-1/2 in. oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Toss one-quarter of calamari at a time in flour mixture. With a slotted spoon, lower calamari into oil and cook until golden about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Keep warm in oven as you fry remaining calamari.
• Warm your corn tortillas up.
• Take a tortilla and fill with calamari and slaw. Top with a sauce of your choice.