Growing up my mother made her 24-hour salad that I always loved. Now I make this salad and my daughter just loves it as well.
But this is the salad that everyone always asks me to make when I am attending a Potluck or Barbecue. Since we were attending my son’s Cub Scout Rank Ceremony’s barbecue, I decided to make this salad as my contribution to the barbecue.
It has layers of lettuce, mayo, parmesan cheese, sugar, water chestnuts, peas, bacon, onions…. Mmmm, I think I need to make another batch for my own enjoyment. It is one of my favorite salads!
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 36 ounces iceberg lettuce salad mix
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (16 oz) bag of frozen peas, keep frozen and do not thaw
- 2 (8 oz) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 oz bacon, crumbled bits
- In a large bowl layer salad mix topped with a layer of each: mayo, sugar and cheese. Next a layer of water chestnuts, onions, bacon and peas.
- Cover and store in refrigerator for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, uncover and toss salad to mix all ingredients together.