One weekend I was making pancakes for everyone then I realized I didn’t have enough pancake syrup for all of us to share, so I decided to make my own syrup.
After cooking a batch, the syrup was watery but very flavorful. However, it will totally thicken up once it cools down. And after you make a batch of syrup, you won’t want to buy syrup from the grocery store again!
And don’t try to double this recipe, because the recipe won’t work… the ‘chemical magic’ unfortunately will be against you. So one batch at a time, only.
Homemade Maple-flavored Syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a small pan. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in maple flavoring.
- Let cool, then pour into a glass jar, cover and refrigerate.
Makes about 1-1/2 cups