My husband literally hates restaurant chili and even canned chili because of the kidney beans. So if he wants chili, then I have to make it homemade for him with either Pinto Beans or Black Beans. And of course the perfect chili recipe calls for a crockpot. It is basically the easiest way to get that slow simmering stovetop chili richness.
Gluten Free Crockpot Chili
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 (15 oz) cans Black Beans or Pinto Beans
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, diced
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon New Mexico Chili Powder, depending on taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey or steak, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups turkey broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (if needed as a thickener)
- Onions, diced
- Cheese, shredded
- Place all ingredients in a crock pot. Give it a nice stir to mix ingredients.
- Cover and cook until the chili thickens and the flavors meld, about 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
- Add cornstarch during last hour if chili needs to be thickened.
- Top with shredded cheese and onions