I had a butternut squash in my pantry that really needed to be used up. Since we were making barbequed burgers for dinner I decided to pull out my french fry cutter — but unfortunately the squash killed my blade on my cutter. I guess it wasn’t made for anything but potatoes. The butternut squash must be way harder than a potato I guess.
Nevertheless, I got some fries made then tossed them into the oven at 425º F for 40 minutes until they were golden.
Seasoned Butternut Squash Fries
- 1 large butternut squash;
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Ketchup, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Cut the butternut squash in two and remove the seeds. Wash the middle and cut away the peel. Then cut the squash in wedges or sticks in your favorite size or cut via a really sturdy french fry cutter.
- In a bowl, evenly coat the butternut squash fries with the oil and salt.
- Place the fries evenly on a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven 20 minutes, and then carefully flip fries. Continue to bake until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, about 20 minutes longer.
- When ready to serve sprinkle with seasoned salt
- Serve with ketchup for dipping