My aunt invited my husband and I over to her home for dinner one night eons ago — and for dessert she made a pumpkin roll cake. My husband loved it sooooooooooo much I was demanded to get the recipe. I had made the roll cake for his birthday one year and for every Thanksgiving since our first encounter with this yummy cake. My aunt is 100% Italian (me only being 50%)…. had made the roll cake Italian style. Instead of using cream cheese for the filling it has mascarpone Italian cheese instead. Anyhow, this pumpkin roll cake was 7 months in the making. I grew the pumpkins used in my recipe — cooked them up, pureed them then made the roll cake for Thanksgiving.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll Cake
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 (8 oz.) tub of mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pint of whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper.
- Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl.
- Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with nuts on top.
- BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool in refrigerator.
- BEAT mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, whipping cream and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth.
- Carefully unroll cake.
- Spread mascarpone cheese mixture over cake.
- Reroll cake.
- You can wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour or serve immediately.