I love Shrimp and my husband loves Chinese Walnut Shrimp… and since I am allergic to walnuts well I decided to come up with my own version and I think it is WAY BETTER than what you would get at the Chinese Restaurants any day… and is more affordable and you get more on your platter.
Originally written on July 22, 2014
Honey Pecan Shrimp
Crispy battered shrimp tossed in a creamy, sweet mayonnaise mixture, topped with caramelized pecans!
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup pecans
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1-1/2 teaspoons honey
1-1/2 teaspoons condensed milk
1 pound medium to jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 – 3/4 cups cornstarch
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2. Heat 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add sugar and stir, constantly, until golden and thickened. Add pecans and gently toss to combine. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined plate.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, honey and condensed milk; set aside.
Season shrimp with salt and pepper, to taste.
Working one at a time, dip the shrimp into the egg, then dredge in the cornstarch, pressing to coat.
4. Working in batches, add the shrimp to the skillet, and fry until evenly golden brown and crispy.
5. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
6. In a large bowl, combine shrimp and honey mixture.
Serve immediately, topped with candied pecans.
Adapted from http://damndelicious.net/